Buenos Aires Times

sports ALLEGATIONS OF THREATENING BEHAVIOUR

Boca players accused of misconduct return to training

Edwin Cardona and Wilmar Barrios missed pre-season matches last week in Mar del Plata after news surfaced of a criminal complaint against the Colombian duo.

Tuesday 23 January, 2018
From left to right: Wilmar Barrios, Sebastián Pérez, Edwin Cardona and Frank Fabra.
From left to right: Wilmar Barrios, Sebastián Pérez, Edwin Cardona and Frank Fabra. Foto:NA archivo

More Sports News

Two Boca Juniors players accused of injuring and threatening two women have returned to training with the rest of the squad, roughly a week after the accusations first surfaced.

Edwin Cardona and Wilmar Barrios missed pre-season matches last week against Aldosivi and River Plate in Mar del Plata after news surfaced of a criminal complaint against the Colombian duo. Another player, Frank Fabra, was also sidelined. Fabra has been named as a potential witness in the investigation.

Returning to training today, the trio took part in a smaller training session with other players who missed the previous matches.

Despite the controversy, it is believed that Boca coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto is planning to use the three players in Boca's first game of the second half of the Superliga season this weekend. The Xeneize kick off their campaign with a Saturday clash against Colón de Santa Fe at La Bombonera.

Previously the three players had not participated in team activities on orders from the club's leadership after the women came forward with public denouncements of their conduct a week ago.

ACCUSATIONS

Cardona and Wilmar have been accused of “threats, violence and illegitimate deprivation of freedom” by the women, who say they suffered injuries after the players visited an apartment in Puerto Madero intending get their hair cut on the night of January 13. 

The women, who have seen their names circulated in the press, reported the alleged abuse to a judge in Buenos Aires. A federal court is investigating the allegations. On Thursday, charges were altered to include sexual misconduct and abuse claims, but one of the women then said publicly there was no sexual abuse allegations in her statement.

The Colombian-born duo have denied any wrongdoing.

Speaking to a local radio station last week, Cardona insisted: "I'm hurt and saddened by everything that's being said. I have a wife and three children."

- TIMES/PERFIL

Poll

Op-Ed

Top Stories

  1. 1This week in the Times: the US, Argentina and lobbyingThis week in the Times: the US, Argentina and lobbying
  2. 2Amateur Argentine astronomer captures birth of a supernova
  3. 3What we learned this week: Public transport, cops and robbers and Pony Brother
  4. 4Macri gov't gives green light to abortion vote in Congress
  5. 5CFK attacks Michetti, Lanata, Massa in new leaked recordings
  6. 6Trump nominates Edward Prado as US ambassador to Argentina
  7. 7Caputo concealed Cayman Island offshore firms from Argentine authorities
  8. 8Arrests made after 389kg of cocaine found at Russian Embassy
  9. 9Consumer gas prices to jump around 50% from April
  10. 10Moyano denies graft claims as he leads massive protest in Buenos Aires