General strike begins: Protest against Milei's labour reforms underway
CGT-led general strike against Milei's labour reform; Union leaders aiming to "paralyse" the country; No buses, trains, flights or underground trains in response to lower house debate.
President Javier Milei faces the fourth general strike of his term in office today as workers and unions protest a labour reform bill up for debate in the lower house Chamber of Deputies.
The Confederación General del Trabajo (CGT), Argentina’s largest union federation, called the strike, which began at midnight local time and is set to last 24 hours.
Public transport is set to be almost completely halted by the industrial action, preventing millions of Argentines from getting to their places of work.
The government called on transport unions to provide a service, saying emergency talks had been convened and that “the adoption of any forceful measures would constitute a breach.”
Milei’s contested labour reforms would make it easier to hire and fire workers in a country where job security is already hard to come by. They would also reduce and restructure severance pay, limit the right to strike, increase the potential number of working hours and change holiday provisions.
The measure was approved by the Senate last week and on Thursday comes before the lower house for consideration.
One controversial article related to sick pay is likely to be removed in order to secure passage. The bill would then return to the Senate for final approval.
Union leaders have vowed to challenge the reform push in the courts should it pass through Congress.
Downturn
The labour reforms come as Argentina's economy is showing signs of a downturn in manufacturing. More than 21,000 companies have shuttered in two years under Milei, who campaigned in 2023 with a chainsaw to symbolise his promised austerity measures.
Unions, mostly aligned with the Peronist opposition, say some 300,000 jobs have been lost since the change of government in December 2023.
Most recently, Fate – Argentina's main tyre manufacturer – on Wednesday announced the closure of its plant in Buenos Aires, prompting some 900 job cuts. The company cited a loss of competitiveness due to what it described as an indiscriminate opening to imported products.
"We want to tell the government that the people did not give it their vote so it could take away their rights," Cristian Jerónimo, one of the CGT’s leaders, said on Wednesday.
The federation’s last general strike was on April 10, 2025, but adherence was uneven as workers in the public transportation system did not join. The CGT, which will be joined by transport unions, is hoping for a bigger impact this time around.
The union umbrella says the 24-hour national strike is not accompanied by a call for street demonstrations.
This decision has deepened the rift within the trade union movement. State workers and left-wing groups have confirmed they will defy the leadership and march en masse to the National Congress.
Last week, thousands of people demonstrated in the capital as senators debated the reform bill. Clashes with police resulted in about 30 arrests, with the government seeking to lay "terrorism" charges against the most violent.
Press warning
On Tuesday, Milei's government issued an unusual statement warning reporters about the “risk” of covering protests and announced it would establish an “exclusive zone” from which the media can work.
“In the event of acts of violence, our forces will act,” a statement from the Security Ministry said.
Press watchdogs criticised the measure, stating it would prevent reporters from doing their jobs.
Almost 40 percent of workers in Argentina lack formal employment contracts, and unions claim the new measures will make matters worse.
Milei's party argues they will instead reduce informal employment and create new jobs by lowering the tax burden on employers.
The President will follow the events at home from Washington, where he will attend the first meeting of ally US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace."
According to local media, this is the 48th general strike since the return of democracy in Argentina in 1983.
A day of limited activity is expected due to the shutdown of public transport, which now includes bus drivers from the UTA union, which is part of the CGT but not its executive committee.
One of the CGT’s leaders, Jorge Sola, assured reporters Wednesday that “Argentina will be paralysed from end to end.”
Who’s joining the strike?
– Transport (CATT and UGATT): Almost full participation. There will be no buses (UTA) with only a few exceptions, nor trains (La Fraternidad), underground Subte trains or commercial flights throughout the country. Aerolíneas Argentinas has already cancelled 255 flights. Taxi drivers, private hire drivers and petrol station attendants are joining the strike, meaning options will be severely limited
– Banks: The La Asociación Bancaria banking union (led by Sergio Palazzo) is closing all branches to the public.
– Government: ATE and UPCN unions are leading walkouts at national and provincial public administration, hierarchical agencies and more than 800 municipalities.
– Logistics and collection: Camioneros teamsters unions (The Moyanos) will halt freight transport, postal delivery and waste collection.
– Commerce and Gastronomy: Unions led by Armando Cavalieri and Luis Barrionuevo are joining the strike, although attendance at establishments will largely depend on the lack of transport.
– National agencies: ANSES, PAMI, AFIP and civil registry offices will remain closed or will operate with a very limited number of senior staff.
– TIMES/AFP/NA/PERFIL
related news
-
How Latin American countries are responding to Cuba's oil crisis
-
Milei government warns journalists about ‘risk’ of covering protests
-
Argentine youngster in eye of racism storm after Vinicius accusation
-
Government limits press coverage at labour reform protest
-
Open skies policy lifts Argentina to top of regional air traffic rankings
-
Milei travels to US for Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ meeting
-
Nearly 22,000 companies lost under Milei, construction hit hardest
-
More than 900 jobs lost as major tyre-maker announces closure
-
Vicuña unveils US$18bn mining investment via RIGI scheme