Monday, May 20, 2024
Perfil

ARGENTINA | 07-10-2023 12:51

Leaders in Argentina condemn attack on Israel, call for 'end of violence'

Foreign Ministry in Buenos Aires deplores "armed attacks from the Gaza Strip against southern Israel" and calls for peace; Presidential candidates condemn violence and killing.

Argentina's government has condemned the "the terrorist actions by Hamas against Israeli territory" and called for "an end to the violence and to guarantee the protection of the civilian population."

In a brief press statement on its X (formerly Twitter) account, the Foreign Ministry in Buenos Aires said it deplored "the armed attacks from the Gaza Strip against southern Israel."

It expressed its "solidarity with the Israeli people" and expressed its "heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims."

Palestinian militant group Hamas launched a surprise large-scale attack against Israel on Saturday, firing thousands of rockets from Gaza and sending fighters to kill or abduct people as Israel retaliated with devastating air strikes. 

At least 70 people were reported killed in Israel, while Gaza authorities released a death toll of 198 in the conflict's bloodiest escalation in years which also left hundreds more wounded on both sides.

Argentina's presidential candidates for the October 22 election also condemned the violence in the Middle East, which has left at least 70 people killed.

Unión por la Patria candidate Sergio Massa joined the criticism, declaring: "We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks that the State of Israel is suffering."

He added: "We stand in solidarity with the Israeli government and people and call for an immediate cessation of violence. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families.  We offer our humanitarian assistance to Israel and reiterate that peace is the only way forward."

Opposition leader Patricia Bullrich also reacted sharply to the news.

"Absolute condemnation of the attack against Israel," said the Juntos por el Cambio candidate. "Once again terrorism is attacking the population of Israel on a massive scale. By air, by land and by sea, the country is under a wave of condemnable attacks."

"My heart goes out to all Israelis suffering from this cowardly bombardment. The violent will never win," she said.

La Libertad Avanza candidate Javier Milei, who has previously spoken of his support for Israel, reposted on X a video in which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that his country was "at war."

In a brief additional message, the libertarian economist wrote: "My total and absolute solidarity with Israel and its full right to defend itself from terrorism".

Córdoba Province Governor Juan Schiaretti also voiced his support for Israel on social media.

"I strongly repudiate the attack against Israel. I stand in solidarity with the Israeli people who are suffering. Violence in any of its manifestations must always be rejected. I pray for peace, coexistence and the cessation of attacks," wrote Scharetti, whose Hacemos por Nuestro País party is unlikely to finish in the top three.

The only candidate not to directly to the day's developments on social media, though she did retweet a post from La Izquierda Diario, which highlighted that Israeli forces had already slain more than 200 Palestinians in this latest round of violence in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, Presidential Spokeswoman Gabriela Cerruti confirmed that President Alberto Fernández had ordered a reinforcement of security in all areas of the Jewish community and also made immediate humanitarian aid available to the Israeli government.
 

 

– TIMES/NA

 

related news

Comments

More in (in spanish)